Instructional Designer and Open Education Coordinator
Tacoma Community College
Priority Consideration Date: September 6, 2018
Provides instructional and program design, delivery expertise for the development and support of academic courses and specialized education programs for the traditional and online classroom using instructional technology. Additionally, this position will raise awareness of open education activities across the campus, encouraging and generating broad participation by departments, professors, and students. Identify potential collaboration opportunities in open education. This position reports to the Director of eLearning.
- Collaborate with professors on instructional design issues, including integration of multimedia, streaming content, and other technologies into instruction and online course development.
- Consult with professors on design of curriculum, instruction, and effective uses of multimedia and instructional technology.
- Collaborate with OER Librarian in the course development process and work with professors to integrate open resources into their courses.
- Manage course design projects, coordinate team assignments and complete final course evaluations when courses meet expectations.
- Collaborate with Organizational Learning and Effectiveness.
- Design and conduct training on such topics as the uses of educational technology, eLearning strategies, accessibility, copyright, curriculum development, mobile-friendly courses, and the integration of educational and learning theory and technology.
- Provide design and production assistance to professors in the development of instructional media in a range of delivery modes.
- Facilitate professor's consultations on course development with the "eTeam" approach that includes eLearning technical support staff, media production, and the eLearning Director.
- Serve as a resource to professors and staff in the development of curriculum using technology; assist in planning and evaluating technology needs for new and existing courses.
- Promote professor's development through activities that support excellent teaching and student learning and which promote professor's innovation and the use of technology.
- Coordinate with eLearning Director to provide leadership and direction in the use of new technologies for the presentation of curriculum to students including, web-enhanced, hybrid and fully online courses, multimedia, video conferencing, web-based instruction, and other internet activities within the classroom.
- Develop instructional materials in conjunction with professors and other staff, supporting responsible, effective integration of instructional technologies in online, hybrid and classroom-based learning environments.
- Conduct teaching support services for individual instructors, groups, and departments.
- Broker and secure academic (institutional) partnerships and provide opportunities for professors to share resources, teaching methods, and pedagogical approaches.
- Lead in evidence-based approaches to course design as Quality Matters (QM) Master Reviewer, Facilitator and Institutional representative.
- Engage in the scholarship of teaching and learning as appropriate, stays current on emerging trends in higher education and publishes on innovations in scaling and sustaining professors development and promoting digital access, digital fluency, digital equity and the responsible integration of technology across the curriculum.
- Integrate Open Education Resources (OER) into the course development process.
- Raise awareness of open education activities across the campus, encouraging and generating broad participation by departments, professors, and students.
- Build and organize community with peer institutions. Identify potential collaboration opportunities in open education.
- Train, educate, and guide professors, students, and staff on open content adaptation, production and publishing.
- Answer specific questions about open education, and provide in-depth consultations with professors, students and staff. Disseminate training and process documentation to the greater open education community.
- Create and share teaching and training materials for adapting and producing open educational content and improving open education publishing processes, including materials addressing copyright issues.
- Develop proposals for external funding to facilitate infrastructure development and needs assessment.
- Foster the growth and development of the open community. Analyze community needs to develop appropriate support infrastructure.
- Develop organizational strategies, based on assessment of indicator data and addressing community priorities.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Master's Degree in instructional design, educational technology, communications or directly related field from an accredited college or university.
- Two years successful teaching experience.
- Experience with web-based publishing, presentation tools, spreadsheets, and various media types.
- Experience using web design applications.
- Experience training others in the use of technology.
Conditions of Employment
- Successful completion of a criminal history background check.
The Successful Candidate Must Demonstrate
- Experience supporting professors in instructional design and/or technology training
- Working knowledge of a variety of computer tools applied to learning
- Knowledge of learning management systems
- Knowledge of emerging technologies as related to teaching and learning
- Ability to work in a team and establish collegial relationships with professors and staff
- Knowledge of open educational resources and integrating them into course design
- Effective written, oral, listening and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ethics and integrity, and sound professional judgment.
- An appreciation of diversity and the benefits of a commitment to cultural awareness and sensitivity in the workplace.
- Experience working effectively with a diverse population of individuals with different cultural and ethnic backgrounds and abilities.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships with students, colleagues and staff representing diverse ethnic, cultural, socioeconomic and learning abilities.