2012 Horizon Report
Feb. 2012, New Media Consortium (NMC) and the EDUCAUSE Learning Initiative
Each year, the Horizon Report describes six areas of emerging technology that will have significant impact on higher education and creative expression over the next one to five years. The areas of emerging technology cited for 2012 are:
- Time to adoption: One Year or Less - Mobile Apps and Tablet Computing
- Time to adoption: Two to Three Years - Game-based Learning and Learning Analytics
- Time to adoption: Four to Five Years - Gesture-based Computing and Internet of Things
- People expect to be able to work, learn, and study whenever and wherever they want to.
- The technologies we use are increasingly cloud-based, and our notions of IT support are decentralized.
- The world of work is increasingly collaborative, driving changes in the way student projects are structured.
- The abundance of resources and relationships made easily accessible via the Internet is increasingly challenging us to revisit our roles as educators.
- Education paradigms are shifting to include online learning, hybrid learning and collaborative models.
- There is a new emphasis in the classroom on more challenge-based and active learning.